Wednesday, January 13, 2016

When we ask why

During lecture today we were going through some physics equations. I remember memorising these equations back in secondary school, then using them to solve questions. I memorised without asking how or why the equations worked.

Today, we learnt the derivations. how and why the equations were as they were. There is a why.

And I wonder why they force the why on us. Were things not easier when we just knew the facts? Academics aside, I realise that knowing why isnt always easy. I'm able to accept the end result without knowing the why, but once I have to understand the process, I'm not so sure anymore.

With the equations, it's a lack of knowledge and the ability to deduce the step by step nitty gritty derivations. With life, it's a lack of emotional depth and wisdom. I accept that God loves me, but why? I accept that my parents love me, but why? I accept that I should accept myself as I am, but why? I accept that I should do my best and live each day to the fullest. But why?

Things were easier as a kid. Where I just accepted the statements without seeking the why. Now that the whys are placed before me, I begin to question the facts. The knowing that those are facts do not stop the mind from questioning. Knowing and believing are two different things.


No comments:

Life Lessons

When you cook an amazing dinner and they tell you to eat it yourself first cos no one gives a shit about you or the effort you put in. Then ...